Second Baptist Church -- La Grange
The church in 1960. Photograph from La Grange Centennial History 1879-1979
This church moved to La Grange in 1914, but its history goes back to 1895. In that year, the church's pioneers held services in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Nelson in Hinsdale. Reverend J. F. Thomas led the services. A year later, the congregation organized the First Baptist Church of Hinsdale.
Seven years afterward, the church roll totaled 23, and Reverend 0. W. Green became pastor.
In 1912, the membership created a building fund. Financial conditions led to selection of a site in La Grange.
The first church building, located at 322 Franklin Avenue, was dedicated on October 25, 1914. The name Second Baptist Church of La Grange was taken, and, at this time, the congregation numbered 40.
Membership grew and the church prospered. On Sunday, January 17, 1960, the congregation marched into a new brick building, valued at $175,000, at 26 Washington Avenue.
On January 15, 1978, the parishioner gladly held a mortgage-burning ceremony..
At the Centennial, Reverend J. W. Richard Owen, pastor since 1945, directed the church. Activities included a woman's club, Brotherhood Union; senior, young adult, and junior usher boards, missionary department, Baptist Training Union, deacon and trustee board, deaconesses, Sunday school, several choirs, nurses aid group, and pastor's aid group.
Several sources were used in the compilation of these entries including but not limited to:
Last Modified: 07/28/2002